Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:36:05 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Guillermo Leandro <guille@galileo.or.cr>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Default users and the passwords

[ removed -hackers ]

++ 23/01/01 15:24 -0600 - Guillermo Leandro:
>Hi everybody!
>
>FreeBSD, like almost all Unix OS, has other default users, like uucp,
>operator, etc. Since this users cames with the FreeBSD distribution, where
>can I find their passwords?

As root, 'less /etc/master.passwd' (note - you should not edit this file
directly, see the vipw(8) utility).  Their password is '*' by default, which
translates to being locked (ie: no crypt()'d password will EVER be a '*').

>Another thing, why is there another uid 0 called toor? Isn't it a potential
>security hole?

No.  Like the other default users, the 'toor' account is locked by default.
IIRC, the purpose of toor is to have a different shell for root (ie: zsh,
bash, etc).  It's probably a bad idea to change root's shell unless you know
what you are doing (you don't want to lock yourself out by accidentally
specifying a wrong shell).  I guess it's really not important anymore since
you can specify a shell for single user mode, but it used to be a good idea
to have root's shell statically compiled (in case you need to be root in
single user, and /usr is on another partition that's not mounted, etc).

So - if you prefer another shell, 'chsh -s /path/to/new/shell toor' and
'passwd toor'.  It should probably be a different password than root, just
for security's sake.

Good luck.

-pete

--