Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:25:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        John Amdor III <johnmxl@netins.net>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

Hello All,

      Honestly I am not as fortunate as some here to have worked on the
      architecture that I would like to and will eventually.

      I finally got myself onto an 8086 about 8 years ago. Could only
      only do things with Ms dos, which was quickly a bore, for amusement
      I would go in and play around with Hex editors to see what I could
      make happen to old programs.

      I pieced together an 386-20 after buying a case, power supply,
      mother board, w/5MB on board for $80. through in a $35.00 Floppy
      drive, bought a 1.02 MB hard drive, and a 14.4modem. I was set,
      got an internet account and it wasn't long till I came across
      FreeBSD.org.

      At first I wasn't sure what it was, a program, a pipe dream, a
      flash in the pan, until I came across the magic word, "UNIX".
      What really sold me to commit some of my drive to FreeBSD was
      reading the introductory handbook pages, on the history of BSD,
      and the mission statement.

      I installed 2.1.6 just prior to 2.1.7 being released and had a
      really tough time in the beginning.  But no matter what I could do
      to it I could find a way of fixing the mistakes I made without
      simply reinstalling (unlike some operating systems I know). It has
      also made working on Win95 machines a lot more understandable due
      to the fact that all the networking config files are strikingly
      familiar.

      Using and learning my way around FreeBSD has also benefited me
      personally, I now work with the local ISP, Sunshine Net. And
      although they operate on a MacIntosh base, I have the access to the
      networking tools and am able to try different things with the
      tools that are part of the OS. The knowledge will definitely come
      in handy when they release MacOSX.

      I now have myself a Pentium 100 on a TXPro Chipset Motherboard,
      and am really having fun with Xwindows and trying as many of the
      ports as time allows.

      I look forward to each release and especially look forward to a
      reason to build myself an Alpha :)  That's my 32bits worth.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Kevin G. Eliuk

Discover Rock Solid, Discover FreeBSD  |  http://www.FreeBSD.Org