Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:24:48 +0100
From:      lowlevel <lowlevel@xs4all.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading to 4.x-stable; problem with kernel compile

Hi. I'm trying to upgrade my system from 3.4-stable to 4.x-stable, and am having problems getting a 4.x kernel operating.

The handbook tells me to;

  If you have just upgraded to a newer version of 4.X or higher (ie from 3.X to 4-STABLE, or even from 4-STABLE to a later version of 4-STABLE), make sure you have built the world, and then run the following commands:

    # cd /usr/src
    # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
    # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

Unfortunately I get this error message;

	make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop

Can anyone tell me why?

I've followed the handbook, ofcourse, and that lead me to downloaded the sources via cvsup, using the following cvsup file;

--BEGIN contents /etc/cvsupfile
*default  host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
*default  basftpmaile=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=FreeBSD-STABLE
*default  delete use-rel-suffix

src-all
*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all
--END contents /etc/cvsupfile

this resulted in the following file:

-rwxr-----  1 root  wheel  211094016 Feb 18  2000 /usr/src.tar

I then proceeded with
/usr/src # rm -Rf *
/usr # tar xf src.tar

which created me a new /usr/src tree.

/usr/src # make world; fastboot
went OK aswell.

The output of make world was saved (as advised in handbook), and is available at request due to largeness (5M+ text :)