Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:52:36 -0400
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Config options with pkg

> Warren Block <mailto:wblock@wonkity.com>
> Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:44 PM
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>

> Which warning, exactly?
>
> Using pkg does not require installing binary packages.
>
> That's only one thing it can do.  Using ports still works like it
> always did, it's just pkg that's keeping track of the installed ports
> (which *are* packages) instead of the old pkg_add tools.
Thanks! I was getting a warning about pkg_install EOL, but that was on
an old version of FreeBSD. The responses to my message have cleared
things up. Wasn't sure if pkgng replaced portupgrade, etc, but I guess
not, glad I can continue to build myself as I always did, that is what I
like about FreeBSD anyway. Don't think I'll use pkg much setting up our
custom Postfix install.

--
Robert