Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:43:37 +0200
From:      Lex Chive <lex@blacktrap.net>
To:        Danny Byers <dan@magma.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL, FreeBSD gateway, slow web browsing

Danny Byers wrote:

> hey!
>
> my situation: I have a 1 Meg Modem connection through my ISP in town. My freebsd
> 4.0 box is setup as a gateway with one network card handling the modem and
> another network card connecting to a five port hub.
>
> All PC's on the network have the freebsd box as gateway: 192.168.0.1 with my
> ISP's primary and secondary DNS servers listed as they should (all are Win98
> boxes). They are also all assigned their own IP (192.168.0.2-4). What should
> their Subnet Mask be?
>
> The problem that I am experiencing is that web browsing/file downloading on the
> internally networked PC's is not working.
>
> For example, I am working on a Win98 PC (connected to the hub) and I type in a
> website address (www.yahoo.com) and goes as far as saying "Tranferring Data" and
> then things just hang... no network activity or anything. The same thing happens
> when I try to download files from FTP...
>
> I can ping/ICQ/telnet out to the outside network on any internal PC but I just
> can't get the web or ftp to work (when I need lots of data transferred)...
>
> I can reach my gateway PC (freebsd box) through ping and I can do a traceroute
> to any IP... internal or external
>
> The browser seems able to resolve to the IP of the website address. and even
> when I type in an IP of a website, the same thing happens.

This looks like a configuration problem on your clients, not a gateway configuration
problem.

My guess is Internet Explorer is trying to play smart. Try something like 'telnet
www.yahoo.com 80' on the windows box, if typing 'GET /' gives you something then the
gateway is working perfectly and you only need to configure IE (make sure the
'automatic proxy detection' feature is disabled, for example). For ftp try passive
(PASV) mode, active mode wont work without special config of the gateway (this is
usually called 'firewall options' in your ftp client).

--
Chive