Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:06:53 +0200
From:      Rob Schofield <schofiel@xs4all.nl>
To:        Free BSD Hardware list <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: reading Sun-formatted diskettes

Mike Smith wrote:

> > find anything in the manpages about this.  I know you can use the option
> > to `newfs' to create 4.3BSD formats.
>
> Solaris uses a different word ordering; you can't mount Solaris
> filesystems under FreeBSD.

Duh - so how come I can read OS-9 formatted floppies on FBSD? I would
have thought byte ordering on the disk to be of little relevance so long
as the correct device driver with an understanding of the layout of the
disk is loaded...?

Anyway, SPARC Solaris (which I guess you mean, Mike) wouldn't run on an
Intel arch processor! It's obvious he's trying a dual boot setup on one
machine, so it must be Solaris x86 => no byte ordering problem, merely a
format problem.

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, Mike ;^)

Rob
--
The Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Scheduling:

The first ninety percent of the job takes ninety percent of the
allotted time, the last ten percent takes the other ninety percent.