Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 2015 18:53:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        scrat <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg problems

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015, scrat wrote:

> I am in process of evaluating FreeBSD so I can move from the Linux world to
> FreeBSD.
>
> I have installed FreeBSD  onto a Dell laptop Inspiron 1501 for testing,  Arch
> linux runs fine on this laptop.
>
> I wish to install the base system, update it to the latest Released version
> 10.1 and then build a desktop  machine using the ports method outlined in the
> online Handbook.
>
> Here is what I have done so far
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 10.0 and updated it to 10.1 using freebsd-update

Why not just install 10.1?  It doesn't matter, though.

> Ss root entered the following:
> /bin/sh
> Xorg -configure > xorg.log 2>&1

Why?  Always try to run X without an xorg.conf first.  Only create one
if necessary.

> $ cat xorg.log
>
> X.Org X Server 1.14.7
> Release Date: 2014-06-05
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p4 amd64
> Current Operating System: FreeBSD dell.example.com 10.1-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD
> 10.1-RELEASE-p6 #0: Tue Feb 24 19:00:21 UTC 2015
> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
> Build Date: 19 February 2015  09:04:34PM
>
> Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
>    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>    to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Mar  7 10:54:47 2015
> List of video drivers:
>    ati
>    radeon
>    vesa
> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
> (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
> Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
>  Configuration failed.
> (EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
> $
>
> How do I fix the error:
>     Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
>      Configuration failed
>
> If I then following the book
>
> *|Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro|*

So it works with the generated xorg.conf?

> I can not (from the book) do the following:
>
> To exit the test, switch to the virtual console used to start it by pressing
> *Ctrl*+*Alt*+*F/|n|/* (*F1* for the first virtual console) and press
> *Ctrl*+*C*.

> it simply doesn't work ie I can not go to the term F1 and Ctrl+C to stop
> xorg.

That is because KMS is being used and requires vt(4) to switch back to
the console.  Add to /boot/loader.conf:
   kern.vty=vt

> Continuing I built Xfce4 from ports, configured it to start from the command
> line and started it.
> I cannot simply log out and return to the command line as the display goes
> haywire.  To stop the computer I have to open a terminal in xfce and su to
> root and issue a poweroff to shutdown.

This is the same vt(4) issue.