Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 16:42:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      guido@IAEhv.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "limit maxprocs" vs. "sysctl kern.maxprocperuid"

Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Sep 1995, Guido van Rooij wrote:
>
> > Tom Samplonius wrote:
> > >
> > >   What is the exact relationship between csh's "limit maxproc" and
> > > "sysctl kern.maxprocperuid"?
> >
> > Limit maxproc is valid only for the current process and all of its children.
> >
> > The other one is global and effective immediately for *all* uids.
>
>   I tested the effects of "limit maxproc X", and it is most definitely
> affects other processes.  For example, I logged in twice to two different

Hmm.. Now I am starting to doubt.

I just checked, and now I remember why I implemented it.
The limit a user can set is bounded by maxproc, the max number of
processes on the machine. I thought this was too high. I want
both a bound on the number of processes on the machine, as well as
a bound on the max procs a signle user can have. The same was done
for the number of filedescripters.
I did this in order to get rid of some silly denial of service attack.

> virtual consoles, then I proceeded to run my limit (default is 40) of
> processes (for testing I used 'sleep 40') on one console.  After that, I
> could not run any processes on the second console, until some processes
> running on the first console ended.
>
>   How does one set the default "limit maxproc" value for all users?

limit -u? (I think it depends on the shell).

-Guido