Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 17:31:24 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update port: sysutils/gtar - 1.13.19

Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net> wrote:

[ introduction of MASTER_SITE_ALPHA_GNU ]
> > There's a total of... find... grep... seven ports that have an
> > alpha.gnu.org master site.  That's hardly worth an entry in
> > bsd.sites.mk.
>
> in fact, there are some other ports which may be upgraded from
> alpha.gnu.org and some added, such as findutils, paxutils, gnubg,

Let's not reverse causality.  _When_ there's a sufficient number
of ports that fetch their distfiles from alpha.gnu.org, _then_ we
can introduce MASTER_SITE_ALPGA_GNU.  It's a trivial change.

(paxutils is dead, btw.)

> also, I'm thinking about making these ports as -devel as gtar should
> probably be ? so, it is more easy to make the distinction between the
> official release and development releases.

This is a problematic issue, and it probably depends on the project
in question.  The GNU/Linux crowd has moved to a development cycle
that remains perpetually in beta.  New development releases have
priority over official releases, which become increasingly rare,
and as a consequence more and more people run the betas.  The whole
process is self-reinforcing.

I'm unhappy about having had to move to development releases, but
gtar 1.13 suffers from non-negligible breakage, which has been
fixed in subsequent 1.13.x development releases.  The Linux
distributions have moved to 1.13.x, too.  In fact, there has been
a nine month gap between 1.13.17 and 1.13.18, with 1.14 nowhere in
sight. For practical purposes, there are no official releases of
gtar, and the "development" ones have taken their place.