Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:23:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ron Jumps <rljumps@inreach.inreach.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help !!! Trying to connect to ISP

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Ron Jumps wrote:

> I am trying to connect a small LAN to an ISP via 28.8 modem connection. I am
> having a problem with assigning addresses across the LAN. There is currently
> only one registered address available, that being to the ISP.

This will not be happy....

> My initial question is, what pseudo addresses can I assign to the machines
> on the LAN?

Hm.  For starters, your LAN is going to have to be set up to use the
invalid IP addresses, in 10.x.x.x.  Then, if I remember correctly, you
are going to have to set up proxy support with ppp or something similar.
(firewall?)

Don't ask me how to set that up, I have a friend trying to get the same
situation, I don't know if he ever got it up or not.

> My next question, how can I connect the pseudo addresses belonging to the
> LAN, to the class C address that is to my ISP? I currently have the server
> set for routing, and have made the device entries into the sysconfig file.

Again, they are going to have to be invalid if they don't have real
assigned IP addresses from your ISP.

> In addition, I am currently connecting to my ISP via PPP, without much
> success. I am using the PPP terminal within freeBSD. My connection is made,
> login is successful, however soon after connection, I get a "NO CARRIER"
> message, and then the terminal locks up!! Any suggestions on additional
> procedures for this matter, or should I be using a different terminal?

Does it say 'login failed' or somesuch, indicating the connection isn't
getting established?

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant