Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:20:28 -0700
From:      dcooper <hysterx@interaccess.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   default route and ppp

hello,

    Im sorry to pester any of you but I would like to ask a quick
question.
I have freeBSD 2.2.6 on a dial out gateway using IP aliasing ( A
DREAM!!!!!). All works fine for almost all of it. I use the command ppp
-ddial internet   to start the dialing
and all goes well. Now my problem is, I use a "dial out gateway" to
provide internet access with my local LAN every thing goes well with
that as should be but when the connection goes down due to problems with
either line quality or my ISP doing upgrades and such my modem resets
and redials the ISP and logs on when it can. This all works fine as is
my intention but once the ppp has re-established the connection the
default route that gets set up between my ISP and the gateway gets
erased and for some reason one of my routes on my ethernet ed0 gets put
there and the default route does not get replaced with my ISP's gateway
once again. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have set up
my dial up just as the handbook said to and also using the pedantic ppp
primer. the only difference is my internal IP's are 10.0.0.x . Is there
maybe another
add 0 0 HISADDR that I should add to compensate for this? Or since the
default route is static ( my IPS never changes the IP to their gateway)
can I use add 0 0 and my ISP's gateway? Well Im hoping that some of you
know this problem. Seems like a simple fix that I just yet don't
understand all the way. =)

by the way freeBSD is the best OS Ive used so far. It is the only one
that I have accomplished good networking with ease. I use Win95 freeBSD
and linux all on my network here. freeBSD is by far the most awesome
system by FAR!!

well, any help would be appreciated!
Dave Cooper