Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:40:49 -0700
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strange Mailer Activity

On Jun 25, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> wrote:
> I am getting a lot of strange bounces in my inbox.  I checked to make sure
> that my mailer wasn't running as an open relay.
>
> Running #ps aux | less
>
> I see some possibilities of processes running sendmail.  Is
> ./s5N5AsEo003358 the file that is calling sendmail?
>
> root  6961   0.0  0.3 12864  5540  -  I    12:24PM    0:00.18 sendmail:
> ./s5N5AsEo003358 zb169.net.: user open (sendmail)

Approximately.  It's a sendmail queue ID; run mailq or look under /var/spool/mqueue/
if the mail is being queued locally.

> There are also a lot of "to" entries in my maillog that don't look like
> they are being sent from any of my users.  Also, I no longer use my server
> as a relay of any sort.  Everyone is now using gmail to send, and my
> friends have custom email domains that I host incoming mail for.  This mail
> is no longer spooled on  my server.  It is just redirected to their (and
> my) google accounts.

If the mail is from a single source, it's probably a spam run against a
dictionary of common usernames @ your domain.  If it consists of DSN failures
coming from popular mail domains, then it's probably a spammer forging your
domain and you're getting the bounces....

Regards,
--
-Chuck