Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:57:07 +0100
From:      Tilman Linneweh <tilman@arved.at>
To:        Markus Schanovsky <markus@schanovsky.at>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: postgres+amd64

* Markus Schanovsky [Mi, 24 Mär 2004 at 19:24 GMT]:
> Who has installed postgres 7.4) an FreeBSD 5.2.1 AMD64?
> Compiling the port was OK, but I can not initialize the databases - I
> always get an erro-message, concerning the semmni or semmns - variables
> (count of semaphores)
> I increased them, but no result.
> Is there a special trick?
>
> I call on the commandline: su -l pgsql -c initdb
>
> The message I get:
>=============================
> -bash-2.05b# su -l pgsql -c
> initdb
>
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "pgsql".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1...
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=8, num=17, 03600) failed: No space left on
> device
>
> This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
>
> It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
> semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of
> semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the
> respective kernel parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's
> consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections parameter
> (currently 1).
>
> The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
> configuring your system for PostgreSQL.
>

> initdb failed.
> Removing /usr/local/pgsql/data.

Hello Markus,

I just tried postgresql, And initdb seems to work for me.

# su -l pgsql -c initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "pgsql".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 40
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... ok
[...]

I have no SEM* settings in my Kernelconfig.

regards
tilman