Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:17:54 +0200
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@pompo.net>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        BSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Configuration files after portupgrade horde and imp

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

Le Mer  3 sep 03 =E0 11:48:01 +0200, Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen=
.de>
 =E9crivait=A0:
> Hi lists,

Hello,

> I just upgraded horde and php on our server via portupgrade.
> After the upgrade nothing was working anymore, it was impossible to login=
=20
> to horde anymore.
> I noticed that my horde/imp configuration files had been replced by the=
=20
> default files. My old files had been saved as <filename>.bak.
>=20
> Is this expected behaviour? Wouldn't it be better to leave the config fil=
es=20
> intact and install the new ones as <filename>.dist.new or something simil=
ar?
> This way the application would still be working after the upgrade and i=
=20
> would have time to inspect the new default config files for changes witho=
ut=20
> being disturbed by users complaining that they can't use their webmail=20
> interface anymore?

This is a known problem, and unfortunately, I have not yet found a
satisfying solution. Usually, the configuration files of a release n
don't work anymore with release n+1.

Previous configuration files are backuped as .previous, and I personally
use gvimdiff to copy changes to the new files. Actually, we would need a
kind of mergemaster...

Any better ideas or patches are welcome!

Regards,
--=20
Th. Thomas.

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq