Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:19:53 -0700
From:      John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, john derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
Subject:   Re: File Systems and Disk Space

Thomas Dean wrote:

> You need to remove some files.
>
> Try:
> # cd /usr
> # du -s *
>
> This will tell you where the big space users are.

I did the du, and found the following to be the biggest hogs (most to
least):
   1. /usr/src 146,330 blocks (that would be 512k each, no?)
   2. /usr/X11R6 107,036
   3. /usr/ports 35,120

> You may be able to do a make clean in /usr/src, /sys/compile/*, and
> /usr/ports.  This will remove object files.  It only takes cpu time to
> rebuild them.

I did the make clean, on /usr/src, /usr/ports, and /sys/compile.
Afterwards, I did a df and /usr is just as full as before. Why is that?

Thanks again.
John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>