Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:12:04 +1200
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "Jordan Hubbard" <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <dan@langille.org>, <chris@jeah.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: tail

:: How does that quote go, "Unix doesn't stop you from doing stupid
:: things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Shooting yourself in the foot stems from World War I, when people did that
in the hope of being repatriated from the trenches as war invalids.
Obviously, there were some side-effects to putting a rifle to your foot...

People confuse that expression with being "hoist on your own petard".

Anyway, what you said above is no justification for punishing users for
accidents (and yes, I know about rm -rf / and all that).

-- Juha