Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:41:25 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Allan Dib <dib.allan.l@edumail.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing a port

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 06:16:37AM +0000, Allan Dib wrote:
> Hiya everyone,
>
> I wonder if anyone can answer what is probably a very basic question. I've been
> reading some BSD documentation and often it will say in regard to installing
> a port something like "simply change /usr/ports/the-port-you-want-to-install
> and run 'make install'". I have always used the command "make install". However
> lately I've seen a lot of documentation say to use the command 'make && make
> install' what's the difference and which should one use??

I really can't think of how there is any functional difference. The
only time I split the two is when there is something I want to do in
between the build and install steps. For example when doing an upgrade
of a port I often do,

  # make && pkg_delete port_name.previous_version && make install

If I am installing something new I use,

  # make install

Unless I want to inspect it after build but before install. But in
that case, I would not be using 'make && make install' either.