Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 01:14:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ttys patch - any objections?

In message: <20020926225759T.matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
            Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org> writes:
:
: culverk> This seems a lot like personal preferance to me, I for one
: culverk> don't like a lot of tty's, because running getty on a bunch
: culverk> of ttys that I'm not going to use is a waste of ram....
:
: Seconded. Two ttys are enough for me.  Many getty(8) processes usually
: waste our process table entry :-)
:
: Usually small PC keyboards don't have their own F11/F12 key; key
: combination such as Fn+F1/Fn+F2 is required (read: a little bit hard
: to push).  It would be better to avoid for the default configuration IMHO.

I agree.  I think that more ttys is a bad idea, since each one takes
more memory as well (since the data space isn't shared).  While this
is a small amount, it is a pain for lower memory systems.

I usually run three ttys myself (imp + root + spare), but it is a
matter of taste.  Each time someone adds more of these goof things
turned on it turns into mergemaster hell for me (since I gotta do the
merge on about 25 machines).

Warner