Date:      19 Jul 2000 11:20:13 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: backing up a remote machine

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:13:08 -0400, Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> said:

Sam> The FreeBSD machine that I have setup is now sitting in a server
Sam> room that I do not have access to.  It is running a small domain.
Sam> How should I go about backing up the machine on a regular basis?
Sam> I do have other UNIX machines that have tape drives.  Is the best
Sam> thing to tar the files up and send them over to the tape drive on
Sam> the other machine via ssh?  Or is there a better way?  What files
Sam> should I be backing up for sendmail?  Anyone know if there is
Sam> something special I need to do to backup MySQL databases?

Check Amanada (www.amanda.org) for centralized network-based backups
of multiple target machines. Amanda knows how to run tape jukes to so
it's a big win for automating multiple targets.

For quick and dirty, check "rsync" running over ssh; it's clever
enough to just send the changes so it keeps bandwidth down.