Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:22:11 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman.uk@gmail.com>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb driver for use with kmobiletools and nokia

Ronald Klop wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Nokia phone which I want to manage by using kmobiletools.
> If I connect the phone with usb I can access MicroSD card of the phone
> with umass, so the connection is ok. But if I choose the 'PC Suite' mode
> on the phone the ugen driver is attached. The phone also show up in
> usbdevs.
> I tried loading the umodem driver, but it doesn't attach. Kmobiletools
> needs a tty to access the phone as a modem.
>
> Does anybody how to attach a phone by USB?
>
> Ronald.

Hi Ronald,

I don't know much about it, but perhaps my scraps of information would
help. I've been investigating OpenSync and OpenOBEX. Both appear to be
dead ends - obexftp has been removed from the ports tree and I hear the
latest MultiSync doesn't use OpenSync anyway.

If you can find it, the "obexftp" package is supposed to do the Nokia/PC
connection thing pretty much automatically.

I found a post on a forum telling a user to add these lines to usbd.conf
  [under the "Handspring Visor" entry] and then restart usbd:

device "Nokia"
devname "ugen[0-9]*"
attach "chmod 0666 /dev/ugen*"

Didn't help me, but perhaps it'll help you. Another bit of advice was to
recompile the kernel with "device ucom", but that might be a bit out of
date since the GENERIC config contains pretty much everything now.

Adam J Richardson