Date:      Tue, 20 May 2014 13:34:13 -0400
From:      Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>
To:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Net-SNMP conflict

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 05/20/14 15:05, Richard Kuhns wrote:
>> Mark Felder wrote:

>>> ports-mgmt/pkg should not be a dependency of any port. Are you saying
>>> this happened? Can you identify which port?
>
> Actually, pkg(8) being a dependency of something else is OK.  It's
> pkg(8) itself that should not have any dependencies.

>> The Makefile for net-mgmt/net-snmp contains this snippet:
>>
>> # pkg-1.2 cannot handle this dependency well.
>> .if !defined(WITH_PKGNG)
>> LIB_DEPENDS=    libpkg.so:${PORTSDIR}/ports-mgmt/pkg
>> .endif
>>

> net-snmpd uses pkg(8) to extract the list of installed packages.
>
> To the OP: just having pkg(8) installed out of ports and sitting on your
> drive will not hurt you.  You have to start running it before anything
> (nice or nasty) would happen.
>
> If you don't want to switch to pkgng just yet, then don't run pkg2ng.
> Similarly don't add 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' to /etc/make.conf (if you're going
> to be compiling your own ports using portmaster(8) or otherwise) and
> don't use pkg(8) to install any packages.  Everything that is pkgng
> aware should be using somewhat more sophisticated tests than just 'is
> /usr/local/sbin/pkg installed' to determine if the system is pkgng-ified
> or not.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

So doesn't that mean that the net-snmp port is doing things wrong? If
pkg *isn't* installed it's pretty safe to say that net-snmpd is not
going to be able to use pkg(8) to extract the the list of installed
packages even after listing it as a dependency & therefore installing
it, right?

Just trying to get clear on what's going on...

Thanks,
	- Richard

--
Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>     Main Number:      765-742-8428
Wintek Corporation                 Direct:           765-269-8541