Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:40:50 -0700
From:      "ijfp@mac.com" <ijfp@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation of 4.7 on Sony NoteBooks

Hello,
	I have been fighting with this for about about 2 weeks now. So any
help is appreciated. The long and short of it is that I am not happy
with windows XP. I am a MAC OS X user for the most part and I am enjoy
it.  So you would think that if someone hands you a windows box,
FreeBSD would be the best bet...
I have attempted to install it on 2 notebooks.
1st was a Sony 505 and the 4.7 install couldn't see the CD-ROM drive,
but it could boot.. Strange,
2nd ~ PCG-NVR23 And a heavy notebook, but the install goes just great.
The problem is the Video. If I set up the XWindows server the video
gets all messed up and all I can do is restart.
When I test my xf86handleConfigFile I get an error and it states
something to the extent that I should d/l 5.0 or a later version of
FreeBSD (doh!  just picked up some Oct 2002 hard copies)
Fatal Server Error : no screens found
Is this the best/only way to do it? Is there a place that I can change
the video settings? Has anyone got FreeBSD up and running on this
laptop? Will 5.x fix my problem?
I am a bit of a neb to FreeBSD, but I don't mind reading...
TIA
-Jonathan