Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:57:18 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1017597439.016de0@mired.org>
To:        "John M. Fannon" <jfannon@gmotion.com>
Cc:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@video2video.com>, "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Audio CD without cable

In <B8C5FD80.E25%jfannon@gmotion.com>, John M. Fannon <jfannon@gmotion.com> typed:
> > the problem is that there is no actual cable. the only connection between
> > the sound card and the cdrom is through the motherboard. soundcard to m/b
> > through the PCI slot and m/b to cdrom through the ide connector. i am not
> > sure exactly how it is done, unless windows is somehow reading the bits on
> > the audio cd and sending it to the soundcard
> That's exactly what it's doing.
>
> I have used this feature for years in extracting perfect digital samples
> from cds.  Think about it, why have so many wasted steps (other than freeing
> up some cpu cycles).  The cd-rom forst reads the data off the cd, it goes
> thru That D/A converter (usually not great quality) then to be run in to the
> sound card (through an unsheilded cable in the middle of a computer case
> known for emitting all kinds of emf), then read back in the a/d to a digital
> signal (already we have some digital aliasing) and then back out through the
> soundcard to headphones/speakers/recording/etc..

That's not the normal path to *play* a cd. That's the path if you do
what I suggested - esdrec | esdcat). However, the normal path for
playing a CD is through the CDROM's d/a converter, through that -
hopefully shielded - cable, then through the mixer as audio to the
speaker output. I'm pretty sure that the mixer on sound cards mixes
analog signals, not digital ones.

That doesn't change what you're saying, though. Ripping the music
through the controller gives you perfect samples, where doing it
through the sound card won't.

BTW, my suggestion as a solution to the original problem was wrong. He
needs to use a ripper that can feed data to standard out, not fooling
with the mixer and esdrec.

	<mike