Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:00:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Peter <peterk@americanisp.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sysisntall and kill

I was trying to update some things on my system, so I did
/stand/sysinstall ; everything worked fine [I did this in xterm under X, I
also had to su to root].  I went to the installation part of it where it
asks from where to isntall, so I chose CD my CD started spinning, stopped
and my system froze for about 30 seconds [I couldn't even hit ctrl+alt+F#
key to switch] it unfroze for like 10 seconds, I went to real root under
another console. Froze again, something about trying to find device then
device dissapeared. Then unfroze. In this time I tried killing sysinstall
with kill ### and kill -9 ###, none of those would kill sysinstall [it was
still under ps and running, randomly freezing my system] so I did shutdown
now [to single user mode] tried killing sysinstall from there....still no
go, so I did shutdown -r now.

It tried syncing the disks [gave up I guess] and rebooted, on reboot it
had to run fsck because disks were not properly dismounted...

[I could not mount/umount the cdrom -device was busy [did not try umount
-f]]

Question:  Why tf was I not able to kill sysinstall? I tried like 10 times
using kill -9 etc. no go, single user mode didn't kill it, only reboot
killed it, and it would keep freezing my whole pc up for about 20-30
seconds at a time trying to find my disk [the cd would spin] then error
message of device disappeared.

this is: FBSD 4.1.1-Stable [cd-rom is for 4.0-Release] Could that be it?

TY

**Random Fortune for this instance of pine**
The primary cause of failure in electrical appliances is an expired
warranty.  Often, you can get an appliance running again simply by
changing the warranty expiration date with a 15/64-inch felt-tipped
marker.
		-- Dave Barry, "The Taming of the Screw"

--- www.nul.cjb.net --- The Power to Crash!
--- www.FreeBSD.org --- The Power to Serve!