Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:50:28 GMT
From:      "Gary Biagioni" <gary@ecension.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/63776: FreeBSD 5.x freezes during boot on a toshiba p25 s509 series

The following reply was made to PR i386/63776; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Gary Biagioni" <gary@ecension.com>
To: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, <joharris2112@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:44:41 -0600

 I was trying to boot 5.2.1 using the iso images on a Toshiba satelite P20
 and having it hang. It was stopping on setting up the cbb0 device.  I was
 trying to boot 5.2.1 using the iso images on a Toshiba satelite P20 and
 having it hang.

 Somewhere else on a google search I had read about building a custom boot CD
 and putting  the following commands in the OS conf file to build it:
 nodevice cbb
 nodevice pccard
 nodevice cardbus
 device card 1
 device pcic

 It also mentioned to try setting hw.pci.allow_unsupportable_io_range="1".
 in the boot loader.conf file as an alternative.

 I did not want to build a custom boot fiule so I did the following:
 1) booted on CD
 2) when the OS selection screen is shown I choose boot the loader
 3) at the OK prompt I typed
 	set hw.pci.allow_unsupportable_io_range="1"
       boot

 and the system got to the standard sysinstall screens.

 Gary Biagioni
 Ecension Inc.
 103 Country Lane Terrace
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada