Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 05:07:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        obrien@leonardo.net (Mike O'Brien)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IOMega ZIP drive experiences

Mike O'Brien writes:

> 	At first I booted up without a disk in the drive.  This is what
> I got:

(...)
> caern kernel: aha0 targ 5 lun 0: type 0(direct) removable SCSI2
> caern kernel: aha0 targ 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA  ZIP 100         M.29>
> caern kernel: sd1(aha0:5:0): illegal request
> caern kernel: sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
> caern kernel: sd1(aha0:5:0): not ready
> caern kernel: sd1: could not get size
> caern kernel: sd1: 0MB (0 total sec), 0 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, bytes/sec 512

With no disk it can't get the size.  This makes sense, since I assume
they have different size disks.

> 	Inserting a disk in the drive and attempting to dd /dev/rsd1c to
> /dev/null netted me a couple of:
> Jun  7 19:42:24 caern kernel: sd1(aha0:5:0): not ready
> Jun  7 19:42:24 caern kernel: sd1(aha0:5:0): not ready

Is it formatted?  If not, this makes sense also.  On 2.05 you could
try formatting it.

> 	So, I shoved a (formatted, blank, 100Mb) fat diskette in the drive and
> rebooted.  This time, things got a bit further:

(...)
> caern kernel: aha0 targ 5 lun 0: type 0(direct) removable SCSI2
> caern kernel: aha0 targ 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA  ZIP 100         M.29>
> caern kernel: sd1(aha0:5:0): illegal request
> caern kernel: sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
> caern kernel: sd1: 96MB (196608 total sec), 96 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, bytes/sec 512

Good; I assume that is the right number of sectors.

> 	This time, trying the 'dd' just got me:
>
> dd: /dev/rsd1c: Device not configured

I'm not sure which partitions you can access without a label.

> 	Another interesting point is that the IOMega toolkit lets you
> mark a diskette as 'non-removable', presumably so you can just use the
> whole thing as a sort of oddball hard drive.  Whatever 2.0R does in
> attempting to probe the device obviously convinces the ZIP drive that
> this has been done, because pressing the little button does not allow the
> diskette to be ejected as long as UNIX is running.

The open driver entry does a "prevent removal".  At least the 2.05 code
does "allow removal" if the open fails.  Bruce added some fixes for
tracking open slices that might fix something like this;

> 	I was hoping that a SCSI disk would be a SCSI disk, or at least
> close enough to let me back up my system (I'm the guy who's always
> whining that his Colorado Jumbo 350 doesn't work under UNIX either).
> Apparently not.  So 2.0.5 is going to leave me to back my system up on
> lots and LOTS of floppies, but what the hey.   I'll be willing to work
> with anyone who thinks they can figure out what to do to the SCSI
> driver to get the ZIP drive working, either before or after 2.0.5.

Are you running 2.05?  The boot messages don't look like that 2.05.

Don't give up yet.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936