Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:28:57 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Andreas Brodmann <andreas.brodmann@gmaare.migros.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-stable

Hi, there are no ISO images for -stable.  -stable is one ot the
development branches of FreeBSD and It changes many times a day.
It is 4.2-stable right now because 4.2 was the last release.   In
general it is referred to as 4.x stable or 3.x stable  because the x
changes with each release.
	The -stable branch is the ongoing development branch and every four
months or so, the branch is frozen and a release is made from it.
Those are made into CD's and made available as ISO's.
	To run -stable you synchronize your system sources with the -stable
branch and recompile your code.  You can find a lot more details at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html
And in general searching the website is always a good idea.

					Tim