Date:      Tue, 20 May 2014 14:16:10 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help getting docbook mess unsnarled

I rarely update my installed ports.  I do it only every few months.

Unfortunately, when I tried to do it a few days ago (using "portupgrade -a")
I neglected to read over the last several thousand lines of the UPDATING
file, in particular this entry:

20140219:
  AFFECTS: users of textproc/docbook*
  AUTHOR: mat@FreeBSD.org

  The textproc/docbook-* ports have been consolidated into two ports
  textproc/docbook-sgml and textproc/docbook-xml.

  Before upgrading you should force the removal of the existing ports, they
  will conflict with the new ones.

  pkg users can run:

    pkg delete -f docbook-xml\* docbook-sk\* docbook\[2345\]\?\?-\* docbook-4\*

  the other users can run:

    pkg_delete -f docbook-xml\* docbook-sk\* docbook\[2345\]\?\?-\* docbook-4\*

So, um, naturally, a whole bunch of my port updates failed, whereupon
I went and read the UPDATING file and found the note quoted above.

Upon seeing this I did as suggested, albeit after having already tried
to update everything:

    pkg_delete -f docbook-xml\* docbook-sk\* docbook\[2345\]\?\?-\* docbook-4\*

Now it seems that my installed ports are still all messed up, and I seem
to have two different version of the docbook port installed.  (See below.)

What must I do in order to untangle all this?  I've tried removing
some of the packages mentioned below, but pkg_delete won't let me
because they have other things dependent upon them.  Do I have to
delete each and every one of those installed ports too, then delete
the ``bad'' (obsolete) docbbook-* things, and then just manually
reinstall all of the dependent ports?

Another question:  If one had... at some prior point in time... installed
some package `X', and if one subsequently then did a "portinstall X",
would that be an OK thing to do?

I'm worried/paranoid about doing this because I am aware of the fact
that when one is manually building & installing ports, particularly
ones that have previously been installed, then one is supposed to do
"make deinstall" and then "make reinstall".  Obviously, there is some
magic that is associated with these specific make targets... in particular
"make reinstall"...  and I don't know if that required magic is or is
not incorporated into portinstall.  So I'm worried about using portinstall
for anything that was every previously installed.  Will anything get
messed up if I do?

P.S.  Yes, yes.  I know.  I'm supposed to be using pkgng.  I haven't
had the time yet to familiarize myself with that.  I still have until
September to convert myself, right?

% pkg_info docbook\*

Information for docbook-1.5:

Comment:
Meta-port for the different versions of the DocBook DTD

Required by:
brasero-2.32.1_6
docbook-xsl-1.76.1_2
evince-2.32.0_11
gimp-app-2.8.10_2,1
gimp-gutenprint-5.2.8
gnome-desktop-2.32.1_5
gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10_2
gnome-mount-0.8_12
gthumb-2.14.1_8
gtk-doc-1.18_1
gvfs-1.12.3_2
nautilus-2.32.2.1_6
policykit-gnome-0.9.2_7
py27-gimp-2.8.10_1
rarian-0.8.1_1
xmlto-0.0.26_1
yelp-2.30.2_7

A meta-port for the DocBook DTD.  This port depends upon the docbook-*
ports, to ensure that they are installed correctly.

WWW: http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Information for docbook-5.0_1:

Comment:
DocBook 5.0, designed for technical documentation

Required by:
brasero-2.32.1_6
docbook-1.5
docbook-xsl-1.76.1_2
evince-2.32.0_11
gimp-app-2.8.10_2,1
gimp-gutenprint-5.2.8
gnome-desktop-2.32.1_5
gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10_2
gnome-mount-0.8_12
gthumb-2.14.1_8
gtk-doc-1.18_1
gvfs-1.12.3_2
nautilus-2.32.2.1_6
policykit-gnome-0.9.2_7
py27-gimp-2.8.10_1
rarian-0.8.1_1
xmlto-0.0.26_1
yelp-2.30.2_7

DocBook is a general purpose XML schema particularly well suited to books and
papers about computer hardware and software (though it is by no means limited
to these applications).

The Version 5.0 release is a complete rewrite of DocBook in RELAX NG.
The intent of this rewrite is to produce a schema that is true to the spirit
of DocBook while simultaneously removing inconsistencies that have arisen as
a natural consequence of DocBook's long, slow evolution. The Technical
Committee has taken this opportunity to simplify a number of content models
and tighten constraints where RELAX NG makes that possible.

The Technical Committee provides the DocBook 5.0 schema in other schema
languages, including W3C XML Schema and an XML DTD, but the RELAX NG Schema
is now the normative schema.

WWW: http://www.docbook.org/specs/docbook-5.0-spec-cd-04.html

Information for docbook-sgml-4.5_1:

Comment:
DocBook SGML DTD

Required by:
brasero-2.32.1_6
docbook-1.5
docbook-xsl-1.76.1_2
evince-2.32.0_11
gimp-app-2.8.10_2,1
gimp-gutenprint-5.2.8
gnome-desktop-2.32.1_5
gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10_2
gnome-mount-0.8_12
gthumb-2.14.1_8
gtk-doc-1.18_1
gvfs-1.12.3_2
nautilus-2.32.2.1_6
policykit-gnome-0.9.2_7
py27-gimp-2.8.10_1
rarian-0.8.1_1
xmlto-0.0.26_1
yelp-2.30.2_7

DocBook SGML DTD.

WWW: http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Information for docbook-xsl-1.76.1_2:

Comment:
XSL DocBook stylesheets

Required by:
brasero-2.32.1_6
evince-2.32.0_11
gimp-app-2.8.10_2,1
gimp-gutenprint-5.2.8
gnome-desktop-2.32.1_5
gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10_2
gnome-mount-0.8_12
gthumb-2.14.1_8
gtk-doc-1.18_1
gvfs-1.12.3_2
nautilus-2.32.2.1_6
policykit-gnome-0.9.2_7
py27-gimp-2.8.10_1
rarian-0.8.1_1
xmlto-0.0.26_1
yelp-2.30.2_7

These are XSL stylesheets for the DocBook DTD and its derivatives (Simplified
DocBook, etc.).

WWW: http://docbook.sourceforge.net/projects/xsl/