Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:08:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACLs

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, David Scheidt wrote:

> You have to remeber to check, though.  I don't look at the link count every
> time before I a rm a file.  There are all sorts of people admining boxes who
> haven't sense to check for this.  I suspect there are lots of otherwise
> competent people who don't even know to look for this.  Removing the problem
> might be a better solution than trying to educate the world about it.

But that assumes that hard links are always a problem in the first place,
which is just not true.  Is it really too hard to do a chmod 0 on a SUID
binary before removing it?  No useful race conditions, no possibility of
privilege hijacking through keeping a covert link to the binary that I can
see.

As was mentioned about these types of admins, "holding their hand by
duct-taping foam rubber over a couple of sharp edges isn't doing them any
favors at all."  I will concede that I am a UNIX purist.  Discussion of
removing a very useful and long-standing ability of UNIX just because
novice admins might not understand it doesn't fly with me.  It's kind of
like someone saying "oh, using file modes to mark programs as executable
is too hard to understand for UNIX novices -- let's make it so that every
executable in FreeBSD has to have a filename that ends in '.exe' and that
way we can do away with the execute bits in file modes."  Would I be the
only person that found idea that horribly repulsive?

> Programs which do different things depending on the name they are invoked
> under is not a feature.

I've always thought this was kind of clever, myself.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@iserver.com        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/