Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:14:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: write combining memory on pci

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Both my P-Pro systems have this option, and AFAIK it worked as above (i.e.
> 'all on' or 'all off')... Win NT survives with it on, until I try to use the
> sound card, and FreeBSD, Linux & Win'95 all die within seconds with it  on

Hmm, that is bad news. I have some cards from a company that only run fast
with write combining turned ON. However, if they crash the OS with it on,
it might not be such a good deal.

Guess I'll have to use the cards as a master, not a target for PIO
writes. As ever, the rule with PCI: don't get the CPU involved in data
transfer :-)

> Which is a bit of a pitty, as I also seem to remember reading it gives a huge
> performance win on writes ;-) - Maybe there is such a thing as 'too fast'...

something on order of at least 2x. It would be nice to have ...

ron