Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 17:07:04 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Rob Andrews <rob@cyberpunkz.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emulator port VMware2..

At 11:08 PM -0500 5/21/02, Rob Andrews wrote:
>I'm not currently subscribed to this list but if someone does have
>an answer to this question please reply directly to me please..
>
>I recently installed VMware2 on my FreeBSD 4.6-RC desktop box and
>had noticed that once installed and everything was setup that when
>I attempt to power-on a session it complains about not being able
>to find vmnet0.
>
>I know when the vmware.sh is executed that it sets up the device
>vmnet1.  How do I get VMware to look to the correct place for the
>vmnet1 device instead of vmnet0?

Which device it uses depends on what kind of networking you
have configured in the guest OS (ie, in your virtual machine).
There's "HostOnly", and there's another option called something
like "Bridged".  I think "HostOnly" causes vmware to use vmnet1,
iirc.

You would want to configure your virtual machines to use
"HostOnly" even when you have selected the netgraph-bridging
strategy when installing the port.  This may seem non-
intuitive, but remember that you're installing a Linux program
on FreeBSD.  There is a little bit of magic hand-waving
that goes on to make all of this work.  The vmware2 program is
giving you options that make sense in the Linux environment,
but it has no idea what is going on in the FreeBSD environment.