Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:21:04 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

On Sep 10, 11:22am, Studded wrote:
> Michael Richards wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > Is it just me or did everyone miss the point of Jay's message?
>
> 	It seems to me that a lot of people missed the point of one of the
> warnings that someone else posted in response actually.  Don't use cat
> routinely to view files. Use more, or better yet less since less doesn't
> view binary files by default.

The "well don't do that then" response is not the correct solution
to this problem.  The issue is that the terminal emulator doesn't
have an option to disable the features which are dangerous (which
should be disabled by default).  This is a subtle attack which can
be prevented against in this way with far greater effectiveness
than relying on the administrator/user to understand and remember
the potential for exploitation present in seemly innocuous actions.

Perhaps someone will now be prompted to make the necessary changes. :)

Niall

--
Niall Smart, rotel@indigo.ie.
Amaze your friends and annoy your enemies: