Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:36:59 +0000
From:      "Lawrence A. Deleski" <lad@inficad.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Video & Ethernet Question

--------------96D63269C5CE8F9958F390BD

I am new to FreeBSD but *not* new to BSD Unix.  I have installed 2.2.5 on my
P200 machine, and for the most part, the installation went well.

The problems I have are in the video card and ethernet controller I'm using.
The video card is an old Diamond Viper Pro PCI that uses a Weitek 9100 chip
with 4MB RAM and an IBM 9314 pallette DAC.  /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe reports
this card as a "Super-VGA, Tseng ET4000 chipset with 256 Kbytes of ram and a
generic 8-bit pseudo-color dac".  Ok, I'm confused.

I bought a new D-Link 10/100 PCI ethernet card that uses the DEC 21140 chip.
It installed ok but will complain on boot (de0: transmission timeout) and
thereafter refuses to work.  As far as I can tell, everything's configured correctly.

Anyone have any ideas on these?  If the video card is a NO-GO, then can anyone
recommend the best card to use with FreeBSD/X11R6 (best as in best
perfromance, not cost).

Any help would be met with unbridled appreciation.

Larry Deleski
lad@inifcad.com
--------------96D63269C5CE8F9958F390BD

begin:          vcard