Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:04:57 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Jeremy Gillies <jgillies@cupw-sttp.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing Via PLIP

> So, no I go to install FreeBSD from my machine -- yes I know there may be
> issues between PAO and regualr FreeBSD -- via PLIP and the laptop won't see
> the connection. I have the correct laplink cable, and I followed two texts
> (the one in the handbook and another I found on some help site) and it still
> will not see the connection.

Well, how are you going about it?  I've done a number of PLIP installs
to laptops and they've always "just worked" - I assign an RFC1918
address to each end (say 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2), make sure the link
is marked "up" on the host side, and it just goes.  If you're going
to install from bits somewhere *other* than the host box, of course,
then you need to turn IP forwarding on for it.

- Jordan