Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:48:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrecord making bum cds

Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com> types:
> Recently, I got a new DVD-rom (IDE).
>
> When I burn a new data CD with cdrecord, it has trouble mounting
> on the dvd rom (though on another machine with my old cdrom, there is
> no trouble).
>
> When I put it in my dvdrom it just pops it back out, and after much
> repeated reinsertion it finally takes it and I can mount it.
>
> I burned the cd with a yamaha scsi cdrw drive.  When I put it in the
> scsi cdrw drive, it sometimes won't mount, but if I repeatedly eject,
> reinsert and try to mount eventually it will (this failure is less common
> that the dvdrom failure -- usually, after a couple repeats it works).
>
> The only variable I can think which really is different is I recently
> started using sony cdr's instead of memorex cdr's. Could this me a
> quality problem?

I've been bit by that one. I don't think it's likely these days,
though. Check with the manufacturer of your CDRW and see what they say
about different CD manufacturers.

One of the times this happened, I fixed the problem by udpating the
drive firmware. Again, check with the manufacturer for more
information. The support section of their web site is a good place to
start.

> Has anyone run into this sort of problem?  What was the cause?  Could
> it be the blanks?  Are DVD-roms just extra finicky???

I've had a number of times when I couldn't get a cd to burn properly.
The other problems have included:

1) cdrecord was fscked up by an upgrade to the system. I had to update
   the cdrecord port.

2) The cd burner's lens was dirty. I bought a cd lens cleaning kit,
   and used that.

3) I was trying to burn 680Meg on a 640Meg CD :-(. Using a 700Meg cd
   solved that one.

	<mike