Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:09:50 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet tcp_usrreq.c

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >  If we do that it will remove or greatly reduce one of
> >    the many problems we have to deal with.
>
> Accepted.  I think the idea of allocating page tables for KVM is
> worthwhile.  I just think we need to make KVM scalable first.

I concur: scalability first, overoptimization at the expense
of scarce resources second (if ever).

> Would it be practical to move the kernel to the top of memory and have
> the KVM space grow down to a size determined by physical RAM (eg KVM
> is the same as physical RAM[1], capped to say 2GB) and then allocate
> page tables to suit.  (This has the added advantage of not needing the
> kernel to be re-linked if you need >1GB KVM).

Not really.  The problem is the free reserve in user space,
and user space mappings wanting (a) contiguity and (b) sparseness.

> [1] I don't think anything in KVM is currently pageable so it doesn't
>     make sense to have more KVM than RAM.  If this isn't true, or when
>     we implement pageable KVM, we can increase the KVM to physical RAM
>     ratio.

You can allocate pageable kernel memory, it's just that
most of the allocations are non-ppageable, and none of the
kernel itself is, since we neither set nor respect the ELF
attribute indicating "non-pageable" to protect things in
our paging path (#pragma section(section_name)...).

-- Terry