Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:29:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, crh@outpost.co.nz
Subject:   RE: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

On 15-Apr-99 Brett Glass wrote:
>  OK: Look at the article referenced earlier in this thread. In that
>  article, Jordan equivocates about FreeBSD's superiority to Linux
>  (that's one) and asserts that Microsoft should be allowed to take
>  over the desktop (that's two -- and a particularly damaging one
>  as many people will have a visceral reaction to it). He has also,
>  by his own admission, encouraged developers NOT to develop native
>  versions of their applications for FreeBSD but rather to do them
>  for Linux. Three strikes, I'm afraid.

So you want to tell people who develop software to deliberatly reduce their
userbase when a) its not truly necessary because our Linux emulation is 'pretty
good', and b) we have no leverage to be demanging they do it anyway!
Get a grip!

As for the desktop, quite patently FreeBSD's approach is *not* desktop
orriented, otherwise we would have more tools a la Red Hat for configuring our
systems, but since we don't the inference is that our developers don't want
that. (and since our developers are also our users..)

>  There's a lot that's good about engendering that type of advocacy.
>  UNIX itself owes its success largely to its introduction into
>  academia early on.
>
>  Jordan, however, deplores that type of advocacy and says he will,
>  in fact, discourage it.

Ahh, no, I doubt that, I don't think Jordan (yeesh, I'd be getting sick of
having words put in my mouth by now if I where him 8-) is going to discourage
the installation of FreeBSD in acadaemia..

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum