Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:16:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lee Weng Seng <wseng@cyberway.com.sg>
Cc:        Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why run FreeBSD on laptops?  (was: Configure X on Dell Inspiron 3500)

On Wednesday,  5 July 2000 at 13:01:19 +0800, Lee Weng Seng wrote:
> Michael you wrote,
>
>> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3500 can be suspended to memory or to
>> disk without any problem, while running X. It then wakes up
>> correctly, eveything working, mouse display, sound, and even
>> USB. So it must be some special feature of the video card in this
>> case.

> Can you enlighten me with the options you've chosen for XF86Config on your
> Dell Inspiron 3500? I'm about to install X and I need as much info as
> possible so that I won't cause serious harm to the LCD screen.
>
> My sweet puppy is a 3500 too and running on fbsd 3.4.
>
> Maybe this question sounds odd but why would anyone want to run fbsd on a
> laptop? As for me, I use it as a test machine for web server to resides,
> while I beg for more money for an entry level PowerEdge.

That's a strange question.  Why should a FreeBSD user *not* want to
run it on his laptop?  For one thing, it makes it more difficult to
get the kind of mutilation that you seem to accept:

   >My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3500 can be suspended to memory or to disk
   without any
   >problem, while running X. It then wakes up correctly, eveything working,
   mouse
   >display, sound, and even USB. So it must be some special feature of the
   video
   >card in this case.

This was caused by your MUA:

Now I can (barely) understand that some people want to run Microsoft,
but lots of us go crazy every time we're forced to use it.  Or are you
suggesting we should run, say, NetBSD on our laptops?  There's a
certain advantage in that, since NetBSD supports CardBus, but so far
it hasn't been enough reason for me.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.