Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 23:07:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Deepak Jain <deepak@ai.net>
Cc:        bv@wjv.com, Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>, Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>, Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: OC48 interface

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Deepak Jain wrote:

> 	An OC-1 is an STS-1 (DS3 with sonet info) equivalent, only
> 	optical.  Bill is correct about not having 9,18,34..etc because
> 	you can carve those out of a bigger OC-3,12,48 pipe down to the
> 	VT1.5 (DS1) granularity (on most transport platforms).
>
> Most platforms above OC12 do not go below OC3 or DS3, but some newer ones
> do. The vast installed base of OC12 and OC48 muxes (Lucent, Fujitsu) do not.

	This is true in the long-haul...but not in metro
	platforms. Cisco's 15454, Nortel's OPTerra 3500 are just 2 out of
	the many multi-service platforms that range from DS1-OC48 in the
	same box.

	But I guess each vendor has "the right way to do things" or so
	they all think.

	Anyway...this thread is way off topic...I'm going to try to
	restrain myself.  Sorry for the OT post again.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"