Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:00:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C905B-TX

On Wednesday, 21 July 1999 at 21:31:13 -0700, Roy Bettle wrote:
> Quick question (I hope):
>
> We are building a high-traffic MP3 site that will, along with Web and
> FTP services, run the SHOUTcast audio multicast server for FreeBSD.
>
> We have had good results in Linux, NetWare, NT, et al with 3Com 10/100
> cards, so at this point we intend to use them in the new server.
>
> Being something of a newbie to the FreeBSD world, I have 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is the 3Com 3C905B-TX a solid choice for a high-traffic FreeBSD
> server, or should I use something else like the Intel Pro 10/100?

I believe the Intel boards are more highly thought of.  But I've been
using 3COM boards for a long time, and I haven't had any particular
problems.

> 2) When configuring the cards using 3C90XCFG, should I leave them in
> plug-n-pray mode or does it make any difference?  The tests we've run so
> far work either way, but they've not been under load as yet.

The setting just ensures that the system will find the board.  It
won't have any effect on the behaviour of the board once the system
has recognized it.  Leave it whichever way you prefer.

Greg