Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41701: New port: devel/RT2

The following reply was made to PR ports/41701; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To: plasma <plasma@freebsd.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:51:36 +0200

 Hi,

 On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 01:40:04AM -0700, plasma wrote:
 >  On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 09:27:19AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
 >  > On Fri 2002-08-16 (11:04), plasma wrote:
 >  > > 	RT is a request tracker system written in perl
 >  > >
 >  > > 	WWW: http://bestpractical.com/rt/
 >  >
 >  > Does this work on 4.x?  Last I tried, the perl modules installed
 >  > couldn't be found because they're "shadowed" by the system perl.  I
 >  > notice you're using "/usr/local/bin/perl" in your patch - did you test
 >  > this on -CURRENT, or use perl 5.8 from ports on 4.x?

 >  My testing system is FreeBSD 4.6-release, and it's ok.

 >  The port's problem is, it needs Perl 5.6.1 or greater to run.

 Are you sure about that?  Last time I installed RT (2.0.8, I believe),
 it was surely possible to make it work with 5.005_03 - at least it does
 so on our server.  Though I am the first to recommend people to upgrade
 to 5.6.1, it would be extremely nice if your port were made to work with
 the system perl.  In the vast majority of cases, it is possible;  in
 fact, quite a number of existing p5 ports in the tree `convince' their
 respective perl modules that running on 5.005_03 is not such a bad idea,
 after all.

 When doing that, keep in mind that RELENG_4 after 17th of June 2002 have
 @INC order reversed, in order to pick the (newer) modules from ports
 before the (older) modules from the system perl.  RELENG_4_6, including
 4.6-release, are not good enough for that.

 >  It needs CGI.pm-2.80 or greater, which doesn't exist in ports.  You
 >  can search ports/36887, which proposed a CGI-2.80.  I have a wild
 >  guess: the reason why ports/36887 remains open is CGi-2.80 needs perl
 >  5.6.

 Your wild guess is wrong.  :-)  There is no good reason why CGI.pm was
 not updated.  It is now at 2.86.

 Also, this is not good:

 MD5 (rt.tar.gz) = 59179c054c0e05336f9b92fe3b031270

 It virtually guarantees you to have the checksum changed from under you.
 The tarballs with the actual version numbers can be found at

    http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/release/

 I think that this port should be reworked with these comments in mind.

 That said, I found it is extremely nice that we *will* have a port for
 RT2.  I was planning to make one myself, and I am very glad I do not
 have to, now.   :-)  Thanks!

 Cheers,
 =Anton.
 --
 | Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
 | catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |