Date:      Wed, 21 May 2014 13:10:14 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        Marko Cupa?? <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/gcc and tmpfs no space let on device

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 02:43:09PM +0200, Marko Cupa?? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using 10.0-RELEASE-p3 amd64, and am trying to build lang/gcc as a
> dependency for emulators/virtualbox-ose. Building fails giving the
> following messages:
>
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/ccwgXZ8m.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
> gmake[5]: *** [javax/crypto/spec.lo] Error 1
> gmake[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> [...]
>
> I am using 128mb tmpfs file system mounted at /tmp:
> tmpfs   /tmp   tmpfs   rw,size=128m,mode=1777   0 0

tmpfs-backed WRKDIR is certainly possible with lang/gcc* ports, albeit
I'm not sure if 128MB is enough.  However, normally I never limit tmpfs
size, but try to provide sufficient swap space.

That said, I observed similar "no space left on device" errors even on
a box with 16GB of RAM when building lang/gcc *with default options*,
which includes JAVA.

> Does anyone know how big /tmp do I need to have in order to compile
> lang/gcc successfully?

I always patch all lang/gcc* ports locally like this:

  -OPTIONS_DEFAULT_i386=	JAVA
  -OPTIONS_DEFAULT_amd64=	JAVA
  +#OPTIONS_DEFAULT_i386=	JAVA
  +#OPTIONS_DEFAULT_amd64=	JAVA

It allows to use tmpfs-backed storage of sane sizes to build them.  I
once wondered why is JAVA in the defaults anyways; someone gave me the
reason, which I cannot remember right now.

./danfe