Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:04:28 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        pmoyer@hyperon.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: various interesting problems in 4.0-STABLE

In message <200004051531.IAA20321@harrier.prod.itd.earthlink.net> "Philip R. Moyer" writes:
: First, and perhaps most bothersome, is that the pccard support doesn't
: seem to handle insert/remove events properly.  Sometimes I get an entry
: in /var/log/messages like:
:
: Mar 31 15:15:59 penrose pccardd[52383]: No card in database for ""("")
:
: when I try to insert a card.  This particular message was for a modem card
: that the system recognizes without any trouble on boot.

This is odd.  What did you upgrade from?

: Mar 31 15:18:31 penrose /kernel: ep0: No I/O space?!

You have tried to use an address that is already in use.

: Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining that it's working.  :-)  I'm
: just observing that hot swapping the cards doesn't seem to work properly.
: Perhaps this is a problem with the hardware, and not 4.0, but I'm curious if
: anyone else has noticed this behavior.

I haven't seen that.

: Third, the Sony has a Glidepoint touchpad for a mouse.  On occasion, I notice
: that it seems to generate a spurious button-one-down event; I get a popup
: menu in the root window when I haven't clicked anything.  I'll also get
: spontaneous cutting in xterms, even without a button down.  This seems like
: it's more of an XFree86 issue than a BSD issue.

It is a driver issue.  There are knobs, iirc, for this.

: If anyone has run into and overcome these problems, I'd be interested in
: hearing about your solution.  As a side note, Warner, I've got a Xircom
: RealPort 10/100 LAN + 56K modem card that I'd like to get working at some
: point.  Is there a crib sheet somewhere for translating CIS dumps into
: working pccard.conf entries?

I just posted one.  Basically, you just need to translate the mfg and
version strings in the CIS into the first line of the entry.  Next,
try the following line:
	config auto "sio" ?
and see if that will properly pickup the card.  Otherwise try the
config entries one at a time until you find one that works.  0x23 is
typical.

However, make sure the realport card isn't cardbus.

Warner