Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:37:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@nominum.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-BETA hangs on boot

In message <20001117162836.N62344@bonsai.knology.net> Steve Price writes:
: On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 03:03:44PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
: #
: # This won't be changed.  polling works on more systems than a specific
: # IRQ, and the IRQ to use varies so widely that any choice is likely to
: # be wrong.
:
: While it saddens me that this laptop won't boot a GENERIC 4.2
: without me having to tweak the IRQ (most people won't know to
: and even if they did wouldn't know how) I certainly understand
: that sometimes progress comes at a price.

Yes.  However, these same people are current hozed when we use IRQ 10
because that fails on compaqs and I think Dells (some dells, not all)
because IRQ 10 is used for something on the pci bus.  Other IRQs have
similar problems. :-(

: BTW, did you do a formal survey to substantiate your claim
: above?

Formal?  No.  Just having installed this on about 100 different
laptops has shown me that irq 14 is about the only irq that you can
count on being used.  All else is variable.

: I ask out of curiosity just so I understand the criteria
: you used to base your claim.  This will surely be asked a blue
: gazillion times after the 4.2 bits officially hit the streets.

It has been like this since 4.1, iirc.  Or at least since 4.1.1.  If
it is a huge problem, then we can revisit the decision to do this.
But we better do it fast.  We have 2 days before 4.2 ships.

: I know you wouldn't/didn't do this but when I first read your
: response I couldn't help but think what if there were only
: six brands of laptops in the world and a million of them in use
: with FreeBSD.  Two people own the five brands that work in
: polling mode and everyone else owned the one that is now
: semi-borked. :)

There are six million brands of laptop in the world.  To be honest,
this thread is basically the first one to say that there's something
wrong.  PAO3 has done this for some time, if I understand thigns
correctly, and hasn't reported problems.

And the 4.1.1R installs that I've done locally for people haven't hit
this problem.  I've done some newer dell as well as an IBM a-20 and it
just works for them.

: BTW^2, if you have any ideas/patches that might get this laptop
: to work in polling I'd be more than happy to provide more info
: and help test whatever you come up with.

No clue.  Without a laptop locally to test against, I have a hard time
with these things.  I have a sony vaio and a digital ultra that I test
with and these both work for me with polling.  laptops are expensive
items and so are very hard to get people to just buy me one the way
they do with cards.  Since I have trouble affording cards, buying
extra notebooks isn't an option.

Warner