Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:10:56 -0600
From:      lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FXTV Round Two

>  |Randall, I've managed to solve the problem with getting the fxtv frame
>  |rate problem solved. (This goes back to my mail on freebsd-multimedia a
>  |couple of weeks ago.) Reordering the boards on the PCI bus solved
>  |that.
>
> That's good.  Could be some other folks in the group could better their
> frame rates with the same technique.

For the record the order is:

	PCI Slot 1:	Matrox Millenium II
	PCI Slot 2:	Video Tuner Card

This is on an ASUS TXP4-X motherboard.

> Well, in the current division of labor, that channel number gets fed
> straight to the driver, who then maps that to a frequency based on the
> configured channel set, and sets the tuner with that.  So it seems the
> driver's mapping isn't right-on for your region, or you may have an
> incorrect channel set configured (see cableFreqSet and antennaFreqSet in
> the Fxtv README):

Which is strange, as I live in Canada and we use the standard North American
channel frequencies. It works fine when I run the card under Windoze.

> Also, make sure you have AFC on (Options->AFC) -- it'll probably help you
> out.

That was the default. The card is fine for (cable) channels 60 and up.

> Yeah, lots of folks have trouble getting their X env vars set right.  I did
> until I wrote some commercial X apps a few years ago.  Try this.  It's not
> the full-blown form, but it works well if you don't need localized apps set
> up on your box:
>
>   XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
>   XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%S
>   XUSERFILESEARCHPATH=$HOME/cfg/app-defaults/%N%C%S:$HOME/cfg/app-defaults/%N%S

I don't see why X won't see the app-default file. It finds all the others in
the system app-defaults directory. (I'm not mucking with the default X
settings at all.)

Do you have a pointer to the doc for the Bt848 chipset? I'd like to try poking
the card at a lower level to see if I can figure out what's going on. Maybe
it's something specific to the card I have.

--lyndon