Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:53:21 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Joel Adamson <trashbird1240@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video Device problems in new install by Newbie -- FreeBSD 6.1

Joel Adamson <trashbird1240@yahoo.com> writes:

>  I took the plunge last night and installed FreeBSD6.1-STABLE.  I found the experience rather exciting and I'm happy with the results, excep for one major challenge to overcome: no video support.  I'm trying to set up X and it's failing.
>
>  Prerequisites:
>
>  FreeBSD6.1-STABLE (from the i386 CD iso's from freebsd.org)
>  Dell  Dimension 5100C Desktop
>  WD SATA HD
>  Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family on IRQ 16
>
>  My friend the computer professional tells me the video and a bunch of other devices are integrated into the motherboard to save space (the system unit is smaller than the printer, if that tells you anything).
>
>  when I do:
>  root-prompt>Xorg -configure
>
>  I get a quick list of all video devices and "No Device Present"
>  The Xorg-configure-log is just a more verbose statement of the same list
>
>  At boot, I get the following messages:
>  acpi0:<Dell 5100C > on motherboard
>  pci0:<display> at device 2.1 (no driver attached)
>  pci0:<multimedia> at device 27.0 (no driver attached)
>  the boot process then proceeds to recognize all my other devices and I get to my login prompt.

X.org doesn't always need any configuration file at all.  Did you try
just running "startx" to see if it starts up?  [It probably won't, but
I'm not sure I understand your description completely.]

To really help, though, I suspect we'll need to see the complete boot
messages and output of Xorg.  The former can be obtained (close
enough) from dmesg(8) (or /var/run/dmesg.boot) and the latter using
screen(1).
[I.e. for more information on those commands, type "man 8 dmesg"
or "man 1 screen".]