Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:47:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John.Place@rrd.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anonymous FTP and Symlinks

John.Place@rrd.com writes:
> I am changing platforms for an _INTERNAL_ ftp server (to freebsd of corse).
> The old platform (QNX) allowed me to set symlinks and they would be
> followed. FreeBSD will not. I realize that this is because of security
> purposes that it is like this but I am trying to make a seemless change of
> platforms and some users will have a problem with this. Is there a way I
> can force ftpd to honor symlinks?

ftpd does honor symlinks. They just don't point where you want them
to, because you've been chroot'ed.

One possible solution is to use hardlinks. If you're making symlinks
to directories, you may have to write C code (or hack the kernel :-)
to get them created.

There have been various versions of "loopback" or "null" file systems
around at different times. If you can find one of those, you can mount
the the files you want to get to in your chrooted space, and use them
from there. I did this to solve the same problem on NetBSD 1.1 and
1.2; not sure how - or if - you can do it on FreeBSD.

	<mike