Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:53:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@ican.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Doing something with the roller wheel on a Mouseman+

Has anyone actually come up with something useful to do with the roller
wheel on Logitech's MouseMan+ ?  I have moused recognizing it and mapping
the roller to buttons 5/6, but I am at a loss to figure out how to make
that do something useful like scroll a web page under X.

There doesn't seem to be anything in -questions, -hardware or -hackers on
this for the past while, and the XFree86 site concedes that while the X
server will recognize the mouse clicks, it's up to the application to
interpret them.

I'm using Windowmaker, but it's prefs application only allow you to choose
behaviour for three of the buttons.  I would presume that if you wanted to
map button 5/6 to the "up arrow/down arrow" combination to achieve
scrolling in Netscape, as Netscape itself doesn't seem to have any options
to take advantage of the wheel.

TIA.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@ican.net
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610