Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:33:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Closing laptop lid confuses X

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Robert Withrow wrote:

> On my Gateway Solo 9100 (with a trident chipset), running PAO 2.2.8,
> when I close the lid and re-open it, the X11 display (XF86 3.3.3)
> has disappeared.  I've tried:
>
>   - Switching VTs
>   - Building the kernel with the SYSCONS_VTY_RESUME option
>   - Killing and re-starting XDM
>
> Only the last option fixes the screen.
>
> If I am at the X11 vty, switching to standby mode doesn't cause
> screen problems but suspending does.  If I'm at a normal vty,
> I can do either and X11 is fine when I switch back to the X11 vty.
>
> Anyone know of a fix?  If not, should I go to the XFree people?  Is
> there an XFree-mobile list?

I have a similar problem using XiG on an IBM 560E with the Trident
chipset.  Whenever the notebook suspends, if X is the active VT, then the
display does not wake up again (although everything else is fine).  If I
switch to a VT after waking up and resuspend, it remembers to power up the
display.  I'm not sure if this is a bug in APM, or in the X server.

This is actually much worse when the notebook isn't plugged in--if it's
running off battery, and suspended while X was active, then I have to hard
boot the machine.  VTs work fine in either case.

Since XFree86 provides extremely poor support for the Trident chipset (no
800x600xdecentnumberofcolors), I haven't tried XFree86 much.  I'd really
prefer to, as AccelX has a number of bugs in its X protocols support
resulting in the X server crashing a bit too often for my liking
(especially when I run KDE or xfig).

XiG has also disclaimed any support for recent versions of FreeBSD, at
least last time I contacted their technical support.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/