Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:05:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID systems

	I've been wrestling with a Netfinity 5000 and a DPT SmartCache IV
for a few weeks now and am near giving up.  Yesterday I thought that I had
a break through, but I may have been wrong.  Specifically, I could boot
from an external hard drive and then FreeBSD could see the SmartCache's
RAID-5 array.  (This was on a minimal install with the default
partitioning given by the disk label editor.)  Once I saw that, I
installed a full OS with custom partitioning (/var was big, /var/log and
/tmp were added, etc.).  Now it won't boot anymore.

	Does anyone have a guess as to why it wouldn't boot with a more
fine-tuned disk label?  BootEasy was claiming that there was no
/boot/loader or /kernel.  Also, once I restarted, I couldn't figure out
what settings to put in the SmartCache's BIOS in order to make it post the
array as a "drive" instead of a "disk".  I'm not sure if I ever managed to
boot from the external SCSI hard drive and have the SmartCache array
posting as a drive, to be honest.  But their tech support line said that
it would be necessary.

	While I'm asking, can anyone suggest a decent, affordable (under
$4000, preferably under $2000) RAID-5 system that connects to a SCSI port?
I have a Compaq desktop computer acting as the mail/web/DNS/DHCP/etc.
server for my job's at the moment and would like to see it have some
redundancy.  (Its running on an IDE hard drive right now.  Do _that_ on
NT!  *grin*)  I'm guessing that the easiest way to improve that system is
to add a SCSI card and plug a RAID-5 external system into that card.  Does
that sound reasonable?

						Thanks in advance,
						Jaime